After you've viewed these, please post a thoughtful comment in the comments section below this post. I'm inviting those of you who are interested to continue to comment and help foster a meaningful conversation. Share your thoughts and critiques about what you've seen and what you see in our world. Meaningful discussion will be rewarded not only insight into the human condition but psych immersions as well. (Consider joining the #notbuyingit campaign on Twitter to call out advertisers that perpetuate this toxic media).
Questions/comments to prompt discussion/thoughts:
- You marinate in a toxic media environment. Do Katz and Kilbourne accurately summarize this marinade? Find examples of your own and bring them into the conversation.
- Does the Guy Code keep men in a box?
- Does the constant barrage of hyper-realistic perfect image impact our body image?
- Do you think the toxic media landscape outlined by Kilbourne can explain the gender differences that we see in the development of Anorexia and Bulimia?
- How does Kilbourne's argument about labeling things like compassion and empathy as feminine and then seeing them as weak play into Katz' argument in Tough Guise?
- Do we treat women as objects in our society? If so, what's the result?
- Do you agree with Katz' TED talk? If so what do we do? Is He For She a good first step?